Thursday 13 November 2008

Mystery Solved

Since the 1988 Presidential election I have always voted by absentee ballot from whichever country I was ministering in at the time. To the best of my knowledge, my vote has always arrived in time. I was surprised and disappointed to be informed by my local polling station that my vote had not arrived for this past election. I was, quite frankly, puzzled as well as dismayed at this news. A week or so later the mystery was solved when I received a letter informing me that my ballot had been received, but as I was a first-time voter it would be considered a provisional ballot and not counted until seven days after the election. Monica Bradfield had never voted before - it had always been Monica Hain!

(On the letter there was a place to complain about the provisional status, and I do intend to comment on a vote not counting until after the election has been decided!)

No comments: